Sunday, October 26, 2008

TEN TEN in China Town

This should have been published 10/10. We went to a parade in Yokohama's China Town! There were politicians...And there were cute little kids playing 'dragons.' I think, from viewing a performance, that the dragon is controlled by a ball. There is a Chinese school there, and all of the kids participated in the parade. I joked that the dragons were 'draggins' when a few of the kids were tired. They'd just drag their pole on the ground.
I had seen the poster for the parade, and wanted to go on my birthday. When we got there, we went onto the school's grounds, where they were setting up for a performance. Two teenaged boys per 'dragon' (looks more like a pug dog to me) and it was phenomenal.

I have been to many China Towns, and since Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan (it feels more like a suburb of Tokyo because of it's location) and we're so close to China, I thought it would be much bigger. I read somewhere that after the 1923 earthquake, many left, and they didn't start coming back until much later.

Here's a short video of some of what we experienced.

No comments: