Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lip Service


There is a stranger in my house. He has a key, and kisses me.

Tim, after 21 years of having facial hair has shaved his mustache. He is now desperately trying to re-grow it for the 'mustache growing contest' his work is having. I guess the women get to judge, instead of competing. There are a couple of Northern European guys who are so blonde and smooth, that I think some of the chicks could take them!

People keep saying he looks younger. One person thought he looked sick. He did admit he had a cold... upper lip!

That reminded me of a time when his nephew, Aidan, was 4 years old. We were going somewhere in my car and he said, "Auntie Caroline, why does Uncle Tim have a mustache?"

I replied that it is because Tim thinks it makes him look better.

"But WHY does he have a mustache, Auntie Caroline?"

I kept trying to explain in different ways how some men think they look better with facial hair. His little mind just couldn't get around it (that is an advanced concept), and it was starting to drive me nuts. "But, WHY???" We were nowhere near our destination, so I finally said, "He has a mustache to keep his lip warm."

"Oh!" That made sense to the boy, and I had a bit of peace and calm until he popped up with, "Papa Bill's chin must be cold, too!"

Tim had asked William if it would be okay if he shaved his mustache, and William said okay. This is William's reaction to the event:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dean's upper lip hasn't seen the light of day in 40 years! When he was growing his mustache he sleepily shaved half of it one morning before he remembered ... had to start over!