Tuesday, April 7, 2009

EXPENSIVE CULTURAL EXPERIENCE

I know some people see me as a world traveller, and that I'm collecting new cultural experiences. However, there are some I could do without.

The top speed limit on Japan's roads, including the freeway-style toll roads, is 80 kph. That is roughly 49.7 miles an hour.

Well, it was a beautiful day yesterday. The sun was shining, the cherry blossoms were out in full, brilliant bloom, and I was getting out of town and taking William up to Fuji Q, where they have Thomas Land. This is an amazingly well-done Thomas the Tank Engine themed park. Fun.

Coming home, I was making remarkable time. It was one of those days where I got to get out of the small streets, and on the open road. I have dreams about Tim's WRX, and driving it. I miss that fun sports car. Both our cars here are under-powered, and the speed limits excruciatingly slow. The window was down, the wind in my hair, it was perfect. Right up until the unmarked police car pulled up along-side me and hit its siren. The assistant cop (they come in pairs) waved me to follow them to a spot where we could pull off the roadway.

They had me leave William in our car (he was amazingly stoic) and took me to their police car where they showed me that they'd gotten me on radar doing 103. That is 64 m.p.h. They gave me a sheet of paper that told me what I'd done wrong in English and got my licence and ID to fill out the paperwork. The fine was 15000 Yen, roughly $150 at the current exchange rate. I bowed and said, "Gomen nasai (sorry)," at the end.

I thought it was funny that William said (as we were being pulled over), "We don't have to tell dad!" I said, "Honey, of course we tell daddy. We don't hide things from him." Like I could. It is mandatory for our command to be notified. Great. My first ticket in 20 years, and the American government gets to be notified. When I insured my car recently for another year, the only question was if I'd had any accidents. Nope. My underwear remained intact during the whole event.

Apparently, I now need to go to a post office within the next week (I will do it today) and pay the fine.

3 comments:

Becky said...

What a bummer! That kinda ruins the perfect day you were having.

Anonymous said...

oh, phooey! And how funny that you pay the ticket at the Post Office. Maybe that's a way for the U.S. Postal Service to make some money -- collect fines for city, county and state cops! Then we could avoid the next postal rate increase -- 44 cents sometime in May. In the meantime, we want to see photos of Thomas Land! Jeannette

Dollars to Yen said...

I just got my first Japanese speeding ticket too... though I wasn't going quite as fast :)

Chalk it up to experience eh?