Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Baseball Japanese Style

Back in March, when James was here, I took him to a baseball game.  It was between the Yokohama Bay Stars and the Yomiuri Giants.  Yomiuri is a newspaper that we subscribe to, but we sat on the Yokohama side, as that is our closest city.
It was a miserable, rainy day, but they kept playing!  We had worn raincoats, and I bought some over-priced towel 'souvenirs' to wipe off the puddles in our seats.  The wind would push the rain sideways at times, and did cause some discomfort and stress on my side.  It was tricky trying to hold onto my beer and umbrella at the same time!
My student, Ryota, came along and helped explain a few things.  The one that fascinated me the most was that they have particular songs/cheers for each individual player.  They really take their fan cheering to a whole new level. 
James, who plays trumpet, was impressed that you can take your instruments in and have different 'bands' going on for the game.
For entertainment purposes, I bought William some baseball bat shaped 'clapper/noisemakers.'  He bopped along and was a pretty good sport about the whole thing.  

Oh!  I know some of you want to know...  the beer was ¥500.  Young girls walk around selling it.  One of them was in high heels, and this stuff isn't light-weight, either!  Only in Japan...


1 comment:

Dollars to Yen said...

Whatever you do... don't spill the beer!