Friday, May 22, 2009

Field Trip


Today was William's field trip. The one you're invited to, but NOT invited to. Parents are encouraged to go with the younger classes (who need more surveillance) but not the older class. I stood there, along with the other ladies, waiting for the bus to leave. For the first time ever, I had separation anxiety, which was compounded by the fact that I had forgotten to give William his lunch when he got on the bus. I gave it to a teacher. The next thing I know, they said William was crying.

Sure enough, he's in the back, and he's upset. I knew it wasn't about leaving me (he and his buddies were happy to be in the back of the bus), but because he thought he wouldn't get to eat!

Sensei Ogawa eventually gave it to Sensei Taneguchi, who finally gave it to William. All was well.

One of the things they asked today, was for all the kids to wear a mask. Usually, William resists. But today, he was happy to wear it. Seika had passed along this information via the phone tree. The lady after me was panicked because she didn't have any, and with the recent swine flu scare, and summer upon us (flu and heavy pollen season past), all the stores are sold out here. I told her that I had plenty and I would bring her one. She gave me a big box of cakes as a gift! Oh my goodness. Overkill. I understood the need, and was happy to share. That's the Japanese way, however. Any kindness is over-appreciated.

I hung out with friends, shopped, and passed the time until William was back. His best friend, Jowanzo's mom, gave us a ride back to our car, which was nice.

There is no parking at the school, so it means train and bus, car to base and taxi, or bus and bus. It's a lot of walking, even if you find a paid parking in the general area. When I pick up William after soccer, I just pull to the side a bit, put my flashers on, and go in get him. It's okay because I'm back out to the car in 5 minutes. Traffic learns to just go around randomly parked cars on the street. Hey, it works!

1 comment:

Dollars to Yen said...

Oh no! They're out of face masks??? I had one Japanese woman call the emergency flashers on our cars the Japanese Cloaking Device since it makes your car invisible.