Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lizard Hunt

Yesterday I needed to do some shopping and William wanted to go swimming. Thankfully, Erin (our babysitter who needs money for school clothes) was available, and she took him to the local Japanese pool.
When I came home, the house smelled like bug spray. They'd gone out into our mosquito infested world, and hunted these -not so rare- lizards.
I was sooooo happy! William needs exposure to this type of thing. I'm thinking scouts in the future, but what a creative thing to do with a babysitting charge! How cool is that? And I didn't even have to touch it! Woo hoo!
Since we live on a walking path, we have lots of plants and bugs. This provides a lot of food and shelter for these creatures. We rarely go outside without seeing some.
Earlier this spring there were 2 large ones (one wasn't camera shy). Now I see lots of smaller ones.
Occasionally you'll see a dead one on the walking path, where someone has ridden over it on their bike.
I guess the lizard they captured in the hunt escaped, and in the melee, got stepped on. So, the lizard hunt doesn't have a happy ending. I suppose karma should be to send them out without bug spray next time...



No comments: