Saturday, September 20, 2008

Go Table



We've been getting questions about whether we ever got our Go table. Highlights a weakness of ours about following up on our blog entries...

Yes, we did receive the Go table. It was delivered right on the day I'd arranged with the shop owners. It is a really nice table and I hope it will be a family treasure for a long time.

It also doubles as an end table in a way. Since I didn't want to risk a glass leaving a ring on it, I ordered up a piece of glass to put on top of it when we aren't playing. I was bit concerned on where I'd get this glass custom cut to fit the table, but I remembered Sagano-san who repaired our dentist chest. He apparently does glass work as well, so I called him up and he made a custom cut piece of glass with sanded edges for $25 or so and he had it ready that afternoon. Pretty reasonable. We're going to keep his number around as our designated handy-man.

We've used the table to introduce the game to several that have come to visit. William and I also play occasionally. Lately, William and I have been playing out examples from a new book I got from my sister for my birthday. It's titled simply, "The Second Book of Go: What You Need to Know After You've Learned the Rules." It is a really nice book that starts going into the strategy and tactics of Go. It is just the secret weapon I needed to keep ahead of some of the people I've taught at work...

No comments: