Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Historic Event

The George Washington came in to Yokosuka today. I rode my bike out to the seawall to see it with the natives. It was exciting to see it come around the point into Tokyo Bay here.
The crowd was mainly retired folks, and people who pulled over and came up on the walkway to view the show.
One gentleman asked me, "She number 73, yes?" It was pretty far out in the bay, and unless you had good binoculars, you wouldn't have been able to tell. I am going to Yokohama for the centennial exhibition of the 'United States White Fleet' that was sent to Japan to show that the US could now cover the Pacific Ocean, as well as the Atlantic. I just thought it was interesting that here I was, on a similar eventful day about a 100 years later.
I am enjoying having a bike. The sea wall is only 3 Japanese blocks from our house, but it's nice not to have to walk it. I need to get a tire pump. I don't think many Sumo ride bikes, so the air goes out of the tires quickly. It's on my list of 'things to do today.' The comment I got the most was, "Ookii!" which means big. A super tanker (looks like) and it passed. Click on the pic below to see it large enough to understand the size.

No comments: