Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Once Bitten




William loves riding his bike. We took him to base a few times. He will ride for hours. We hear him sounding like a choo-choo train and he whizzes past. He still needs to focus a bit on the horizon. The other day, he was looking at a sign as he passed it (probably reading it) and ran off the path.
Now, we just let him ride around by our house. But, there's a big problem. We have mosquitoes here. They are tiger mosquitoes. They are black versus brown, like the ones we have at home. William is sweet meat to them, and they eat him alive. Being a mom, I've been a little reticent to add DEET into his life. But I was horrified and felt awful when I realized how many times he'd been bitten. It makes me wonder if something else is getting him, as well. He's had bite looking things on his knees, but he's always playing in the sand here. It's amazing that they haven't decided he has the pox and banned him from school! You should see his upper thighs by his shorts. Ugh.
For the first time, I really wished I was back home where we hardly had any mosquitoes! The people in this house before us sprayed weekly to keep the population low. I am told that all these mosquitoes need is wet grass to propagate in.
I am now using the Woods OFF on William. I hope it helps as we tool around the neighborhood on our bikes. Yes, I got a bike to ride around the neighborhood on.
For those of you who wanted more pics of him in his uniform, here it is. I love the little summer hat he has to wear! And no, I'm not going to sue them for breach of contract for substituting a van for a choo-choo bus.

No comments: