Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Birthday Party

William was invited to a friend from school's party. Some of the children are American-Japanese. Usually, mom is the Japanese national, and dad is an American.

At one point, he and this boy were friends. I think the teachers used this boy to interpret a little for William at the beginning. So, when we were invited to the party, we accepted.

By the time the party rolled around, this boy was no longer a friend of William's. He didn't want to attend. But, the mom had told me there was going to be a juggler there, so please be on time. We bought a gift (which William said we could just drop off and go), so I figured let's make an appearance.

At first, he was reticent. He was the only Anglo there. 2 more arrived in due time, but he was definitely feeling like an outsider. And his best friend wasn't there yet, so he was telling me he just wanted to get out of there. I can only imagine what he was feeling. But, I've been there before. You don't feel comfortable, so you just wanna leave. But, we'd made a promise, and we needed to fulfill it.

So, I cajoled William to cooperate, and he really enjoyed himself.

The first cutaway shows the only 2 blonde kids at William's preschool. Her dad works with Tim occasionally, so we know them. Suzannah started talking Japanese after 1 year at Seika. She has been attending 2 years, and is fluent and amazing. It's funny to see people react to her when she speaks Japanese.

The second cutaway is of William's best friend at Seika, Masato.

After the act was done, the balloon made party favors and games began, and William and I slipped out a side door. I was actually glad to find out that William isn't a 'pleaser.' He won't sell his soul short for friends. It is obvious that he has made his decision on who is nice to him or not, and he's good with that.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Caroline,
I am so glad that I found your blog! Katie forwarded your info to us. We are so excied that you want to help us with our Asia study. It's so good to hear that William is doing well in Japan and it's fun to see that he is still the same little boy that we fell in love with.