Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cha iro Kuma


William has had 2 days off from school. Japanese Labor Day was Sunday, so Monday was a holiday, and Tuesday was a comp day for the teachers at his school.

So, William and I went SHOPPING. This is a picture of us at the local Daiei Mall. Their theme is Mummin Valley. This is the house and the papa and mama mummin (trolls). Pikku My (or Little Me) is up on the roof. She's the one I love so much. Her little expression is how I feel sometimes. Heh heh heh. I love anything Mummin Valley right now.

William's school tasked us to get him brown tights and top, as he is to play a Bear in the 'Mountain Christmas' Pageant. Do you know how hard it is to find brown tights? I called the English liason at the school and tried to convince her that black bears do exist where we come from, and maybe he should play a black bear.

Nope, a chairo kuma (brown bear) it is to be.

So, we traipsed from store to store until I finally decided that brown thermal bottom wear would do the trick. I got a fleece turtle neck top. I figure it'll double as a ski top when he needs the warmth this winter. Now, I have to figure out brown socks. Do you know how impossible it is to buy dark brown socks for boys? Now, if a brown-grey would work, I'm IN, as William's socks start turning that color after awhile...

I'm toying with the idea of making him some brown 'bear claw' slippers.

However, finding fabric here is hard, and the prices are outrageous. Hmmm... I guess everyone will have to stand by and see what the costume looks like once I'm done with making it. Actually, I was told to just provide brown tights and brown sweater. The school is supposed to do the rest.

Last laugh is on William. He has to go to school on Thanksgiving and the day after. Actually, it turns out to be these quiet, idyllic times for Tim and I. Alone in the house without the sounds of William.

1 comment:

Noyuri Soderland said...

Chairo no kuma wa nani o shimasu ka. utaimasu ka. odorimasu ka. kawaii desu ne. -Noyuri Soderland