Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tanabata at Home

After putting American flags in our yard when decorating for the 4th, I decided that I should decorate a tanabata tree to show our Japanese neighbors that we won't miss an opportunity to party!
William was all about making the ornaments. It's amazing what you can do with tape. This lame bird (I think it looks like a pteradactyl) is one of my crane attempts. Tim says that I was showing the 'evolution' of the crane.

I bought a tanabata kit at the store, so we had string and origami paper and directions. I'm so glad they come with drawn directions for those of us who can't read!
After I figured out what folds I was missing, I started having better luck with the cranes. I made a total of 10. BTW, we had friends and neighbors put up wishes on our 'tree' (bamboo fake plant) as well. I wished to lose some weight. We'll see if Japanese wishes work as well as American ones! My problem is, I LIKE Japanese food! I've been gaining weight here! Just as long as it doesn't take 10 cranes to lift me when we leave, I'll be happy... (joke!)

No comments: