Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Seika Camp -Mom's Perspective

I'll admit that I had a lot of apprehension and separation anxiety when I first heard of Seika camp. When I looked at the itinerary, it said 'sailing.' I asked if I should send a lifejacket along with him. That got a laugh, as he was to go on one of those huge boats. Hey, 'sailing' to me is racing for beer on Friday nights on Sinclair Inlet. People do fall off! I'm not overprotective, I'm into prevention! Yeah, that's it...
I worried, and anguished. Then, while on vacation and talking to a relative, I realized that William was starting to be concerned, as well. So, I stopped worrying. I trust these people to drive my child to school each day. They do a great job to make sure he's safe. They'll do the same on this camp that they do every year. So, I stopped worrying, and started working on mentally preparing William to enjoy it.
He is waiting on the bus to leave. The girl in front of him is fluent in Japanese, and her mom was the one that convinced me to try out Seika. William was quiet until Jowanzo arrived, and then they were best buds, ready to set off on an adventure!
Finally, the bus left. I went home and had some peace and quiet. It was relaxing.
I was ready to see my boy again, and found myself jogging to Seika from the parking lot (pay) nearby. I get there 10 minutes early, and the kids are seated, and no parents can go see their kid. William looked crest-fallen, so I went and spoke to him a bit, but no hugs, yet. The school ceremony was about 45 minutes long. THEN I got to hug my boy! Talk about delayed gratification. These kids sat there the entire time. They sung us songs about Fuji and other camp songs. The headmistress spoke. It seemed really long for me, but then again, I was standing in the back with the other parents, waiting.
I loved that they got to decorate their own straw hats.
William was READY TO TALK. He had to speak Japanese for 3 days, and he was ready to communicate in a language he KNEW! He described very well his entire trip to me on the way home, and for Tim when we got home. He is writing is 'book' on his adventure, and when we buy the pictures and get the video, we will post those.
Apparently, the villa they were in was a huge house. William was impressed how big it was. The boys from Yokosuka's Seika slept in one tatami room. There were other Seika Kindergartens there, as well. He was amazed how big the bath was. All the Yokosuka Seika boys bathed at one time. They shower, then soak in a tub together. This is popular amongst the Japanese. I will let him tell his own tales on what else they got to do.
He presented us with our 'gifts' he bought. He got his mom chocolates. I have to admit, my heart swelled a bit. He didn't buy anything for himself. He only bought for us. Tim got a Japanese hand towel that is really nice and has Lion King in Japanese on it. William made the presentations very nice. TOO FUN! He 'saved' the rest of his money for his 'money collection.' :)
I am happy to have William back, sleeping safely where I can hear him. He's more confident, you can tell. He survived and lived to TELL about it!

No comments: