Friday, May 2, 2008

Children's Day

Kodomo no hi is Children's Day in Japan.  May 5, or 5/5, originally known as 'boy day.'  

In Japan, they put up koinobori to show how many boys are in the house.

A friend tells me (I don't know her source, so I don't know if it's true) that you put up a
 black large koi (carp fish) for the dad, and the first boy is a red koi.

When we were by the zoo in Yokohama, they
 had many huge ones hung out over the valley.  They were spectacular.  I got us a small one at the 100 Yen Store (a buck) that we have in our hotel room.

Tim went out with guys from back home last night.  I think he enjoyed having some fun without us tagging along.  I am a bit concerned, as he chose to go to a karaoke place.  Charlie's is the place to hang out.  He came back smelling like smoke.  That is one thing about Japan that I don't like.  Smoking is everywhere.  I hate it at the restaurants.  I want to have clean air!!!

William broke my nose the other night.  He was ultra mad at -whatever- and we were trying to ignore the fuss.  He finally sought me out, and I was trying to talk him through the reason and the logic that only HE wasn't getting what he wanted because he was having a fuss.  Then he head butted me.  

I hit the floor, and William looked like Mel Gibson in all the movies where he head butts someone.  Didn't faze him in the least.

I heard the loud pop, and knew it was bad.  It even knocked loose some teeth.  Today I could brush my teeth and even eat a bit without being in dire pain.  The septum is definitely compromised.  William has been reminded several times that mom is not happy about this.  I know he didn't mean to, but that is little solace when I'm in pain.  

No comments: