Sunday, June 8, 2008

Yokohama Go

The Go class I was taking on the Yokosuka Base started out with 20 people, but over the course of a couple of months, it dwindled down to just me.  Although I need lots of help, we didn't think it was fair to take 4 intructors' time with such a small class, so they invited me up to Yokohama to play with their club.  

We met at, what is essentially, a pool hall for playing Go.  I paid 1000 Yen (about $10) and met up with our small group in the back.  Luckily, one of the group was waiting for me at the elevator.  If I'd walked into this room without some idea of what to do or where to go, I might have turned around and headed home.

We played the full sized game (instead of the 9x9 or 13x13 training games I had been playing in class) and was able to squeeze in two full games.  I lost the first one and won the second.  So a pretty close match.  

Afterwards we headed out for a drink.  
I'd driven to the 12 hour parking lot on base to catch the train, so I had to settle for Cola while the rest had beer.  I'm looking forward to living in our house where the train station is just a 6 minute walk away and I can have a couple of beers since I can take the train all the way home.  The next get together is in Tokyo.  I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: