Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nameplate




So tonight we 'tagged' our house.

We needed to put our name and number out front.  Today we had a delivery of our kitchen cabinets (Japanese kitchens have only the sink, stove and a few cabinets built in... everything else gets added by the tenants or owner) and the guy called me to say they couldn't find our house because there was no posted address or name. 

Well, I THINK that's what he said.  I spoke more Japanese than he did English, so there you are.  The lady who helped me with the name plate spoke no English as well.  At one point, she went and FOUND the demo model to show me that it was bevelled.  She'd tried to explain, but I wasn't getting it.  We kept talking dimensions (numbers are easy), but I wasn't sure what she was meaning (the outer dimensions are larger than the front ones).  The good news, it is all correct, and in the correct fonts.  There was a lot of pointing, and 'KOCHIRA' (this) being done.  

The gardeners finally came and did a reasonable job.  It took 3 skilled men a very long day to spiff this place up.  I'm glad they did it, and not me.  I promptly went out and washed down our walkway to get all the dirt they'd tracked on it.  And then, William and friend Christopher when tromping through the mud and replaced the big muddy prints with small muddy prints.  Back to square one.

The place looks much better from the walking path, which our house faces.  Our house faces to the south, and has good light.  

Today the Tokyo Gas man arrived to check if there were any leaks or anything.  I had guessed from the letter they'd sent that the gas would be turned off the morning of 7-10 between the hours of 9-12.  Nope.  The guy was coming to check the house!  I can't even begin to read kanji, so I'm glad it all worked out.  He spoke enough that he could explain how to use the fish broiler.  I still think I'll stick to the small oven we purchased.  

I went and got grass seed to try and re-grow some grass between the concrete pads the 2nd car parks on.  It has none now, but we have a golden opportunity to try and get some green down there while we're not parking on top of it all the time!

A good friend took William for a couple of hours yesterday.  Today, another good friend took him for even more hours!  I was getting a ton done without having the slow as molasses child  to drag around.  There is control is going s-l-o-w-l-y.

OH!  The kegerator is EMPTY!!!  It happened tonight, right before Tim's gone for a month!  Wow!  Is that perfect timing, or what?!?

No comments: