Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Walking Path


It is so nice to be on the walking path.  From the train station, there are two short blocks that one has to share with traffic (there is no sidewalk), and then it's on this bike and pedestrian only path.  Now, I call those 2 blocks 'the gauntlet' because you feel a bit squeezed in there, but many safely pass each day.

William is modeling the Japanese portable shade unit.  It is starting to feel like Japanese summer.  It is hot and humid, and you're constantly grateful for the over-priced cold drink machines that seem to be on every corner.

This is right across from a 7-11 store.  I call it my 'outside refrigerator.'  

We've had a couple of friends over so far, and it's nice to have a house that one can be comfortable in.  I have made one tactical error.  The kids see the games to play in William's closet, and so we get to play different games.  I call 'Chutes and Ladders' the 'Crying Game.'  Kids just can't take it when the slides happen to them.

Today I got an account at the Bank of Yokohama.  We have to have an account here so that the school William is going to go to can deduct the tuition.  It was an easy enough process.  You have to buy the $30 hanko (name seal) before you can go open an account.  I walked away with a little bank book with my name on it and an impressive looking account balance.  Now, 100 Yen is one dollar, so you get the joke.

However, tomorrow I have to pay CASH for all the books, outfits, etc.  

Luckily, I called today.  This week is the last week of Japanese school before they go on their summer break.  The English speaking person at this school is there tomorrow, and then not until I'm gone to the states.  So, I had to get everything done today in preparation to go tomorrow and get William officially signed up.

I am much more apprehensive than William is.  I know he'll hate it for awhile, as the language difference will be an issue for him.  He is excited to ride the choo-choo train bus (yes, it looks like an engine!) and learn an instrument.  I am excited that he'll be getting on the bus in the morning, and being gone for a few hours!!!  :)

I continue to work on the house to get it in shape.  I'm still trying to figure out the best nooks and crannies to put everything in.  My office looks like an earthquake happened.  Well, one did last night, but I slept through it.  The wrong size fairy struck again as I guessed on something at a store.  Tim says not all is lost, there's a way to make the desk go up a bit, so I can put the drawers underneath it.  

No comments: