Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hammie the Hamster

Early Saturday morning, a little before 6, William was up and chomping at the bit. Tim and I were trying to sleep, and it only took me a few seconds to realize why William was so awake. It was the day Hammie was coming to stay with us. I told William it wouldn't happen until 10 a.m., and to let us sleep.
When our friends said they were looking for a place for Hammie while they were gone to Hawaii, I thought what a great experience for William this would be. A 'rental rodent' that we could give back when done.
Now, I had my reservations. We all know how this works. Mom gets to clean up the messes. However, I still agreed. William is loving it, and only a little bit miffed that Hammie doesn't want to come out and play more often. He's learning the word 'nocturnal.'

William is always concerned about Hammie. What is he doing, is he okay? What vegetable can I give him now mom? Is there water in the vegetable? Why does Hammie like to sleep during the day?

William has to be quiet when he's playing piano. We have earphones to help with this. William decided he'd play piano to calm Hammie. Now, Hammie hasn't peered out of his little box house all morning, except to enjoy his carrot stick. I'm sure he went back in for a nap. But, this is what I found. Apparently, William decided Hammie needed 'stimulation' and put him by our ever-changing digital photo frame.
He also put the digital piano's headphones on the cage, so Hammie could hear him playing. Poor Hammie, I can only imagine what he has to say.
I, HAMMIE
DAY ONE: Today, I was transported to a new safe house. This one has even a smaller person in charge of me. He seems like a nice enough kid, although his big face outside my house is a little freaky at times.
DAY TWO: I have done reconnaissance in my ball, and there is a drop off the front step and a closed door to the outside. I don't think escape will be easy.
DAY THREE: They have changed the litter in my cage. My new box house is a bit more roomier, but the familiar smells of the last safe house are gone. I miss Erin.
DAY FOUR: I have flashing lights and loud music being played at me most of the time. I have heard of this technique being used in hostage situations to get people to come out of the house. I will stay inside. They cannot make me crumble.
DAY FIVE: I jogged in my wheel last night, as I must keep my strength up to find Erin. Don't worry, Erin, I WILL FIND YOU!!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

That is hilarious with the ear phones! I hope he enjoys his time taking care of Hammie!