Wednesday, June 24, 2009

POLA Museum

I have been hankering for some time to see some art. I miss Chicago and Paris. I had heard of the Pola Art Museum up in Hakone. It is 90 km. and 3 hours of driving, if you go along the sea, which has fewer toll roads.
Eventually, you end up near Gora in the middle of a wooded drive, and in the middle of nowhere is the Pola Museum. It costs ¥ 500 to park.
It costs ¥ 1800 for entrance, and ¥ 200 to rent an English recorder guide. I printed a ¥ 100 off coupon from the internet.The light inside was nice. Eating here is lovely, has a wooded view, and is expensive.
Escalators between floors help you get around. It isn't that large, but I thought the collection of impressionists was very representative. Suzuki of the Pola Group collected, and then after his death in 2000, the Pola Museum of Art opened 2002. Below is the brochure they gave me. I was also quite taken by some of the Japanese artists from the impressionist time. They have many very good artists who studied the Western Styles of the times, like this lady from the back.


There is Asian ceramics and a large Western Cosmetics Utensils collection. Art Nouveau style. I really like paintings. The Sugiyama piece of the oxen in the water is HUGE. This artist is impressive, and has modern day images from places all over the world, including the Middle East. It's neat to see large scale art.

Of course, I did my shopping at the museum shop. There's a larger shop, but I could photograph this one, myself.
All in all, it was worth it to me. They have a nice collection, and it is a beautiful museum.

No comments: