Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 New Years

Last year, my Japanese friends invited me down for Yokosuka's fireworks show.  We were at a friend's party, so I didn't go.  So, at 10:30 I got ready, headed to the train station, and left on the local train to go to Shioiri station and get off.
The vibe of the crowd as two trains pulled in at the same time was palpable.  Old and young were there, all thronging towards Verny park to revel with others.
 Loved these guys with their happy new year head gear!
 They had a makeshift Jinja (shrine) set up so you could ring the bells, donate money and make your wish.  Seemed kinda cheesy, but you get out of the need to go to your local shrine!
 The band was a rockin' it.  The atmosphere was fun.
 Tako balls and other Japanese foods to be had.
 And I think the Chinese figured out 'pigs in a blanket' before we did.  Click to enlarge. Many of these steamed rolls have a pork mixture in the middle.
 TV truck was here, and I saw the mayor there, as well.
 Truman Bay was lit up by all the Japanese Self Defense folk's boats.  One of these subs has 2011 on it.
 This is more of the same.  So pretty.  Before the fireworks started, the boat's decorative lights and the local street lights all went out.
 Blurry, I know, but these girls were passing the time before the show.  I got a great spot with only a half an hour 'til midnight.

I wasn't prepared for the boat horn blast!  Great show, and it was fun being so close.  We could also see a part of the Yokohama fireworks from there, as well!
 The reflection on the water was so beautiful.
 Now it says 2012!
And they moved the jinja to the stage. Folks were pretty lit.  The smell of alcohol and cigarettes mixed with the food and seawater smells.  Ah.. the smell of New Years in Japan!
The crowd was young folks on the make or young couples or elderly folks.  A few families.  A lot of grandma brings grandson or daughter for their first stay up for the fireworks night.
I took the train home, stopped by 7-11 to get the soba you're supposed to eat, and came home to enjoy it.  I wish all of you a happy new year!  Akemashite omedeto gozaimasu!

No comments: