Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hot pot

One of my favorite things to do in Japan, is go to my friend, Jun-yi's house for hot pot.
Basically, it's a pot of hot boiling water, and you add shrimp balls, fish cake, scallions, cabbage, beef, and when it's done, you bring it out and dip it through a sauce. Shrimp garlic is my favorite. And it makes a sort of a soup. Oh so good.
Last time there were shrimp balls. This time, only octopus balls, so we had shrimp to cook, as well. Japanese version of this is called nabe. naw-BAY. I think I'm going to bring home this hot pot that you plug in and use at the table.

This year, she made us plum tea. It looks like a jam, and you add hot water and stir. It was a bit sweet, and so delicious!

I always starve myself a bit before this yearly event amongst friends, so I can eat a lot, it is soooo good! Thank you, Jun-yi! Can't wait 'til 2012!


No comments: