Saturday, January 15, 2011

Over scheduling a First Grader

William loves the swings at the school playground. I often pick up him and Stefan, his friend. It's the only way to give him an hour of play-time before starting to the other activities he's signed up for.

I have to pick up William at school 4 days a week at this point. I've always said only 2 extra-cirricular activities. BUT, then Stefan invited him to AWANA (Christian children's group), Tim suggested Kumon (Japanese math), and we'd already signed him up for swimming.

Groan. My #1 priority is to get him into piano lessons. The poor kid has about 40 minutes of homework each night once you have his reading and writing, spelling and kumon math homework. He's not getting much screen time, but I guess that's what weekends are for.

I still need to find a piano teacher. The ones on base are all booked up. I was told by my piano teacher (who is AWESOME and SO TALENTED!) that I should get a teacher who speaks English. So, I'm on a mission now to find such a person here in Japan. I know of two signs for teaching piano in our neighborhood. I need to start knocking on doors. Some teachers come to your house. That is so old school... that is how I started as a kid!

I am car-pooling the swimming with Stefan's mom... I figure only one of us needs to sit and wait for swimming to get done. It's hard to do anything while you wait. It is so hot, and you're trying to keep the clothing to change into dry... oh well. I am finding some time to hand-write letters! That's if I remember to bring some stationery.

William is doing excellent in Kumon, and loving it. Loves AWANA and has memorized 7 scriptures already. Small world: new kid at school was in our AWANA back home before we moved, now he's here. I looked at his bag, and knew the person who had sewn it! He loves swimming, and we think it is important to get him up to speed on that. Groan... and then I need to add another 15 minutes of 'homework/practice' every night.

No comments: