Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Egg Scramble

Yesterday was still windy.  The walk back from preschool wasn't too bad, as we were amongst housing.  We did find the short cut.  I asked a boy about 12 years old, because I knew there had to be a short way through the houses.  He walked us through it to the point where you get back on the road.  Nice boy.  When we got back on surface streets, we were in the lee of a hill.  

I was carrying William's paper made Easter basket from school.  It was clutched tightly to my side to avoid the wind.  When we got to the intersection that is exposed to the gale force winds, it was ripped out of my hands, and all eggs went sailing.  

Panic!  You should have seen William.  These were his hard-earned 5 eggs filled with candy, and 2 real hard boiled, colored eggs.  The good news is that the hard boiled ones were really easy to peel after they were cracked by the fall, and rolled along the road...   

The plastic ones rolled far down the road and across the intersection before they stopped against the curb.  I was in disaster management mode, trying to get William to the curb, in case a car came along.  Speed limit is 15 mph, so they'd see us before hitting us, but you never know.  William managed to grab 3 eggs before they blew away.  I got him to the corner, and I chased down the rest.

In order to secure our precious cargo, I had to use both hands, so William was mom-handless.  He couldn't walk into the wind it was so forceful.  So, I had him walk behind me.  It was a struggle to get that last block walked to the Navy Lodge.  But the eggs made it!

William ate all the candy out of the eggs.  I've never seen him eat candy like this before.  He usually only eats a couple, and then stops.  

Okay, on to the professional Easter Egg Hunts this weekend!  

No comments: