Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Land of the Rising Sun


This is the view from our hotel room.  If I had a better lens filter, it would look like the Japanese flag, an orange orb in the sky.

Spring in Japan is beautiful.  William played a lot yesterday in the sun.  Some ladies in McDonald's introduced themselves and William started running with their kids.  One lady's kid, Justin, 22 months, was the master escape artist.  And FAST, too!  He kept getting out of the gate at McDonald's and heading down the grass.  There are a whole bunch of cherry trees ready to pop open and bloom there.

Wow.  We have a singing group of navy personnel jogging by.  To be honest, I don't think they're as loud as the crows are here in the mornings!  William is FINALLY sleeping in!!!  

I ended up at a Spouses group last night.  Ugh.  I'm so not into that group thing.  But, the extra monies (not used to support the spouses) goes to a battered women's shelter, and I believe it to be a very good cause.  I can't change the world, but I can change my backyard, and my backyard right now is in Japan, and I can support those women who need the help to get out because they don't have a lot of options.  Besides, I get to hang out with others from our Bremerton group.  There is common knowledge sharing, as well.  One dude was telling us how to do the Japanese licensing when it comes due here shortly, and how to avoid the lines.  He's the spouse, and he's been here awhile.  Good insider info.

Of course, I had to make the crack that I think the Ombudsman is the one who brings beer.  Truly, I said I thought I knew what they do, but would they explain.  This lady is the red tape cutter for us.  And she looks like she can do it, too!  :)

William has been asking us what his new babysitters are going to look like.  He has been spoiled with Katie and Kristen.  They are twins and were exceptional at watching him and mentoring him through the frustrations of being four.  He is missing them already.

We've been told that finding babysitters here can be tough.  Most Japanese don't do it (I guess that's what the parent's are for?) and the older kids are always cramming for their exams, so they don't have time.  Hopefully we will get into a neighborhood with several American families.  There is a nice family here with 2 daughters who are 'hungry for money.'  Hallelujiah!

They were at chili's last night at dinner, so he got to meet them.  They told him they had a hamster named Freddy.  He told them he has a dog named Bernie.

For some reason, William decided that my niece's dog, Bernie, is his dog.  He's only been around her 4 times in his life, and loves her.  She is a golden lab, smaller stature than some of the brutes I see bred now.  She has great manners, and is an awesome dog.  Tim and I think it's great having a dog that is being fed, vet bills handled, poop scooped, etc. all by someone else!!  :)  I think William just needs bragging rights. 

BTW, for those of you who bugged me about my email address... who is the original cputaansuu?  Well, the name is Chris Putaansuu from Texas, and we got an email yesterday saying, "Um, I have these emails from you.... who are YOU?"  I guess Tim didn't get the 2 hit before the shift @ button a few times.  So, now you know!  :) 

1 comment:

Eno Brad said...

Wow! You're close enough to Tokyo Bay to drop in a line and catch your own sushi. Has William tried sushi yet?

I see ships on the bay. Do the locals have pleasure boats similar to what you'd see on Puget Sound or is everything commercial?

What kind of internet connectivity are you using - dial-up, DSL, Wireless, etc?

Eno Brad