Monday, February 28, 2011

(Inter) National Pizza Day -- Going to the Dogs

February 9 is National Pizza Day. Our oven is too small for the take and bakes, so I have to cut them down.
Occasionally, I make pizzas. I love pesto chicken and kielbasa sauerkraut. But, those nights are few and far-between.
Plus, both Tim and William often get pizza for lunch. So I'm left hangin' with a hankering.
So, when the Strands said they were going to go to a cool pizza place in Zushi, I said, "Hey, let's go celebrate National Pizza Day, in an International way!"
Of course, Tim said he was celebrating FeBREWary.
Any reason to drink... I mean, celebrate...
These are Japanese nachoes.
Mushroom pizza... they don't have the white button mushrooms like we do back home. They are available, but they are costly, and these are a very nice, similar tasting, variety. The boys scarfed down this one.
This one they served with honey. At least they put it on the side.
I thought the menu said (trying to read kanji, katakanas and hiraganas is always a recipe for a disaster...ous mistake on what we end up ordering) 'shirasu' or baby white fish. But, I never saw them, or tasted them. I think it was just naga neigi (long onion) on cheese. It was hot, and the crust was thin!
And the basil pizza. Always a favorite.
I ordered a sundae for the boys, and was going to split it, but they split it for us, giving two glasses all decorated up.
Allie is blocking Dwayne, and doing very well. Her daughter ended up helping her eat it, and was crowing 'cause she got the big spoon. Ha! Joke's on her. The big spoon wouldn't fit into the bottom of the sundae glass, so she couldn't get the good stuff in the bottom. :)
Okay, you knew if you waited for it, I would deliver the dogs. There are restaurants here where you can bring your dogs to eat with you. This pizza place (near Zushi train station) is one of them. It was almost unbelievable. The server would pet the dogs, then come deliver our food, no hand-washing. I'm not worried about it, the probability of me getting sick from germs from these dogs is small. But, it FASCINATES me how the Japanese treat their dogs like real people, and that's accepted here.

1 comment:

MelissaFraser said...

Great posts!! We've been watching your blog for all the fun updates. :) Thanks so much!!
We are looking at some homes in MaboriKaigan this wkd--
Melissa & Jason Fraser