Monday, February 28, 2011

SAKE SEMINAR 2011

We were back, and this year there was a great line-up!
The food was great. They started letting us in a little after 6 p.m, and the seminar began at 6:30.
There were a lot of PSNS folks we knew there. That's Paul on the right.
The usual suspects... Anthony's, Strands, Tim and the Sullivans.
This is a real seminar. Several folks left at first break. I think they thought it was a sake drinking/tasting event. It is more of a history, how it's done, what are the different types, and here are a select examples of the best types.
This lady took over her dad's sake brewery, and started using red rice to make a sake.
It was my favorite last year, and was my favorite this year. It's sweeter than most sakes.
At breaks, we could get more of each type. So, we'd go and ask for 3 glasses, get a small portion for each of us to drink, then the next would go get another 3 samples... It looks classier than saying, "Load it up, Mac!"
The presenter is Dutch. He came to work at the embassy in Japan, and fell in love with sake. It became a passion. Now, 30 years later, he is an ambassador of sake. He represents a major brewery and gives educational seminars all over the world.
This time, we took notes!
And in lieu of that, I took pics of the slides. He succinctly points out the different kinds, and what makes them different. Then, there are the varieties, like pasteurized or not pasteurized. Good stuff.
It is a pretty good overview of the process. I almost expected to be able to sign up for college credit in the back.
And I drank more this year. Last year, I was conservative, I didn't want to have my tummy feel ill from the sake. But, I learned they are great sakes, and they don't disturb your tummy! Tim got to drink my glasses last year, after I'd had a sip. This year, he only got what was served him!
Eric, Hallie and Dwayne speaking with Ad Blankestijn, Sake Sommelier.
And other friends of ours... Chris and Trey. They are so funny!

No comments: