Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another Storm


I loved this picture from Tim's trek.  With Tim in the picture, you understand how large this Buddha is that's carved into the rock.  It's like their own Mt. Rushmore, in a way.

Yesterday William and I stayed safe and dry inside.  We had another one of the gale force winds and thunderstorms pass through.  It is amazing to see the waves crash over everything.  There is a reason things rust out here.

The great house hunt continues.  Here's the most recent happening:  We were at a friend's for dinner.  People passing by on a bike told us of a house that is recently empty.  The location is wonderful.  The house is older, but more classic Japanese (there are issues of no insulation, not enough amps, mildew, and only one car parking).  You understand how desperate we are because we want this house, and are hoping it might work for us!

The problem was finding out who represented that house.  There are no signs posted telling you who you need to contact.  I asked at Base Housing (they do referrals for finding off-base housing) and they didn't know who represented it.  I had them write a note for me, so I could at least go ask Realtors in the area if they were the representative.  I even went out to the area and asked strangers at McDonald's with the note.  I searched Websites of Realtors in the area (hard to do, as I don't speak Japanese, but you can click...), and came up nil on all.

Then, yesterday, as I stayed in because of the rain, I checked the Base's website about the weather.  Just for grins, I clicked on their housing link and looked at their procedures.  It had 'example houses for rent.'  I clicked on the 6th one.  And what do you know?  It's THE HOUSE!!!  I click on the floor plan for it, and it shows me who the realtor is that represents it!  I called, and we have an appointment to see it.  Now, this begs the question of why Base Housing didn't 'know' who represented it, since they have it on their website...  I'm going with that they have a new database, and therefore it wasn't in it.  It does kinda crack me up.

Then, as if this guy has some sixth sense, the realtor that has the newer, better homes in the area (I've been going to his agency once a week, calling or emailing once a week as well),FINALLY calls last night.  BUT, his places don't open up until May or June.  We might get kicked out of the hotel we're in (called the Navy Lodge... think Howard Johnson's of the 80s) because we only have so many days to find a house.  

It's a catch-22.  Many people are leaving this spring.  Once that happens, places will open up.  We're here a little early.  People coming in later this month will have a better selection.  Meanwhile, our clock is counting down.

So, now we're looking at fitting into a smaller house than we'd originally anticipated.  We'll still have room for friends to come visit, but our wish for a guest room with a real bed may be dashed.  We'll still probably end up with a tatami room (think deeply woven mats, for traditional Japanese sleeping) that will double as a place for our visitors to have privacy.

BTW, for those keeping track, we've had 2 minor earthquakes since we've been here.  And from the two storms that have gone through, I'm worried about typhoons.  These are winds that will knock you down, and they're not even the forceful ones.  We have to hold on to William so he doesn't blow away.  Seriously. 

I am hoping that by the end of the week, we have an action plan on housing that we can endure to the end with.

No comments: