Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Long Haul

Yesterday was one of those days where you realize how long the commitment to raising a child is.  

I think we are consistent with William, and have reasonable boundaries.  However, we are raising a very strong willed child.  He can be so silly and contrary and funny.  Sometimes, when something doesn't go his way or as expected, he isn't happy.  Consequently, nobody else gets to be happy, either.

Yesterday we didn't hook up with Thomas to go play.  You see, when someone says, "Let's get together and play," William assumes they are going to wait all day, in their apartment, for us to call (yes, we warn him that this might not happen).  So, when they aren't there when we call, all hope for a normal day is dashed.

When it comes time for me to write this blog after a day like yesterday, I just don't want to.   What can I write about?  For me, the day was one hurdle after another.  And he'd had plenty of rest and food, so that wasn't an excuse.  I'd let him play long and hard aft
er preschool on the play area, so he had been getting his energy used up.  

I'm not asking for advice.  I know every parent at one time or another, has had to realize that this is going to go on for years.  Deja vu with you thinking, "Isn't this child EVER going to get that this won't pay off for him?!?"  

I know that it's important not to give in.  I know that it may be years before he gets it. 

In other news, the previous day, he'd done really well when we went out with Tim's co-workers and friends.  We had a nice dinner out.  You have to know which narrow alley to go down in order to find it!  William loves tofu.  He'll always eat chicken and rice.  I need
 to start bringing our own fork and spoons for him, as he has a hard time with chopsticks.  Well, he uses the chopsticks for drumming on anything we'll let him drum on.  Which isn't much in a nice restaurant.

William on a happier day, got to ride one of those rides that cost 25 cents.  When we had pizza for lunch, he'd eaten it upside-down.  I guess that gives more taste to the taste buds.  Thank heavens it was sausage pizza, so nothing fell off since it was glued by cheese to the crust.


No comments: