Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sushi American Style



Okay, so I had to do something for a bake sale.  We have no oven, so I decided to do rice crispy treats.  I thought I'd ramp it up a bit, and here's what I came up with.  I have to admit, I was sweating it a bit.  The NEX didn't have Swedish fish or blue sharks for the longest time.

The attempt to imitate crab rowe... I used Nerds.  Nerds are sour.  There's only one per plate.  

The salmon roe is Yogos, and they are sweet.  

Yep, you notice the fruit roll-ups.

For awhile, it wasn't forming.  It had to cool a bit before I could roll, and then it was a race to do as many as I could before it was too hard.

All in all, it was kind of a fun project.  

---UPDATE---  5 sold rather quickly, mainly to my American friends who were there.  It was nice having a DONATION section for those who didn't want to buy a cake for $100.  

I have to find out the rest of the story, since I wasn't there for an ending on the open auction (I guess you'll have to come back to this post to see the ending when I update this next Monday).  There was a guy who was insisting he needed this german chocolate cake.  We asked him what would he do if we out-bid him?  And he said he'd let us hang, and he'd get another cake.  Some of his staff got together and out-bid him.  I was saying things like, "Hey, don't mess with this guy, he went to war school!"  He was strategizing how to get them... I wonder if he got the cake?  He was willing to pay $200!

No comments: