Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hiru Gohan

.... I think this means 'lunch.' Okay... is it bad that this is my Japanese class outing, and I'm forgetting a simple word like lunch? :)
Reina and Jun-yi. The place is near the Imperial Summer Home in Hayama.
Like everything in Japan, it is right on the road! Parking was tight. Well, not when we got there, but the Mercedes kinda blocked me in on the way out.
The small zen garden everywhere are so beautiful and peaceful to see.
The name of this place is Hikage Chaya.
The view from our table.
The menu. I can even read the prices on the bottom. ¥7300 is $98.50 is on the left.
Going over the specials, all written out on lovely paper.
Our waitress.
Ordering.
My individual menu given to me. Each line down is a 'course.'
This was the creamiest tofu I've ever had. It was like butter.
A smoke pickled abalone. NUM! I wanted to keep the shells they were so pretty.
Persimmon in in season again! The fried lotus root are like potato chips. Edame, but cooked in something with a grill flavor. And, "Did you ever eat a pine tree? Some parts are edible!"
They made a big deal about this mushroom. It is very expensive, and only is available in the fall. So, I'm trying to taste it and appreciate it. I swear it fell out of the bowl, 'cause I don't remember encountering it when I sipped this up. Seriously, I don't know where it went! You sip your soup here, and it was gone after I sipped, but don't remember anything but broth going in my gullet. So, my theory is, it was such a thin slice that it slipped right down. Of course, I said it was good when the waitress asked.
Sashimi in its own little garden. So pretty. That is shiso flower.
The red stuff is red konyaku. Made from a plant we call devil's tongue, it is a zero-calorie food. They make noodles out of it. But, it is a bit of a fishy taste to me, so they're okay, but not a favorite. The red style was more soft. Interesting. A delicacy.
This was like a fried rice ball in soup. Good and comfort-food-ish.
OMG. I usually don't care for a white fish. Not my taste, too mushy, and I think of smelt when I eat it. This was AMAZING. They thinly sliced chestnut and adhered it to the fish. Then they fried it so the chestnut was like a potato chip. So you eat the fish, but it crunches. The light fish taste just finishes it. AMAZING. They made it look like a nest, with soba noodles with green summer vegetables to color it (think noodles made with spinach). In the fall, they'll be an orange color from pumpkin added. Details, details. All specifically made for each dish.
Yes. It came with rice!
I know the top says Nihon food! This is the sign for the place. Enter this number in your GPS if you live in Japan and want to drive here.

No comments: