Sunday, June 13, 2010

Camp Fuji Ski Trip Jan 2010

About 2 hours away, and $30 in tolls in Camp Fuji. It is on the shoulder of Mt. Fuji. It is a Marine base. The best part, is there's a small 'hotel' of sorts there, for reasonable rates. $45 a night for us. It has a microwave, small fridge, not enough blankets... we always freeze. But, the price is right, and it is near a ski hill.
Yeti ski area is nothing you'll see in SKI Magazine. It is small. It is all beginner stuff. But, it's fairly cheap to ski there, and it's not far from home. They make their own snow (they have to, since they're on the south (sunny side) slope. We loved it for giving William some time to learn the basics.
So, when I heard our friends were coming over TDY, I asked if they'd like to teach their kids there, as well. There's nothing like bragging rights for, "I learned to ski on Fuji-san!"
Hallie and I packed up the kids, and whoo-eee. I thought I was an excellent packer. I'm still not sure where all the stuff that was waiting to go when I pulled up, went. Amazing job! We stopped at one of the rest areas, and loved this little 'kid's rest room.'
How cool? Your little boy can pee in a urinal, or Mork from Ork can come on out. :)
We ate at a pasta place, and I loved this daruma. Usually, you get one, paint in one eye, make a wish, and when it comes true, you paint in the other eye. With the Japaneses love of all things Disney, I wasn't surprised to see this one!
I had reserved early in the year for view rooms. I was the first one to reserve this weekend. Much to my chagrin, my rooms were cancelled! I told them that I DID NOT cancel my reservations. Turns out, they were cancelled on the same day my friend made her reservations. I told them that I expected them to honor my reservations, because I didn't cancel them. All was well, they realized their mistake, and honored view rooms for us.
On the second day, William, Hallie, Dougie, Ian (baby) and I stayed back. Time to recouperate. It had snowed the previous evening (a slip-slide down the mountain for us), and there was still enough snow left for a little sledding, 'til the sun showed up. Then, we looked for shady areas to get enough to make a snowman.
Okay, he's a pathetic small guy, but he made this snowman by himself! ;)
I love this little idyllic place, and wonder why more people don't use it for photos. You can't see it from this angle, but there's a port-a-potty back there! Nothing says it's owned by Americans than a sani-can.
This park is brand-new and within walking distance from base. This is a double roller slide. It is made to look like Fuji. What fun!
This was for ages 3-12. Love the hen/chick cartoon.
William kept falling off the couch in the middle of the night. I finally just left him on the floor to sleep it out.
Again, Fuji is always so beautiful in the morning. We even got to watch some black hawk helicopters take off.
This is my William, my ski guy looking sporty up on the hill!
I just love the father/son thing going on here!
While in for lunch, we were watching videos of skiing and sports. If you double-click, you'll notice what the Japanese use to describe accidents caught on tape.
Tim, William, friend Stefan and mom Hallie all enjoyed skiing together!
Yes, they make snow... only for the runs!
William absolutely LOVED having a buddy to ski with and compare with. Congratulations, Stefan, for learning to ski on Mt. Fuji!

No comments: