Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shionkai Feb 2010

We practiced so much for this. This is the day we decided to do it at the school. We couldn't use the stage, obviously. So, we just practiced there. I got tired of all the practices. Things changed so much at the end, though, it was probably good. I finally remembered the dance steps, and was one of the better ones.
Shionkai is a 'Teacher Appreciation Day' and they have fun sending up all the classes' presentations. The kids did so well sitting for it all!
They gave us our little yearbooks and stuff. The kids loved it.
The bags have gifts in them for the kids.
The kids got little bento boxes, and these were our lunches. Smoked salmon, pickles, rice with beans, and a stir-fry. The yellowish chunk to the right is a chestnut that is sweet.
The other classes' moms did the sunflower head leaf synchronized routine.
The teachers performed some of the songs the kids have learned. I love this one guy in the back. He was being so silly.
Then the administrative staff dressed up for a skit. That one guy is back up there, being silly. It was fun.
This is me. We did the 'Mickey Taiso' as one of our performances. The kids did it during the year as a regular exercise program. I'm sure it looked different with us doing it.
I don't have video of the performance, just the final pic of all of us. We also did a song. They let me play the triangle. I felt so remedial doing it, but it was safe to give me something to do versus sing. Turns out, I was one of the few singing. It was a song written about our children's last year at Seika. It used a popular song's tune. Everyone started crying and couldn't sing. Since I couldn't really understand the words, it didn't make me emotional. So there I was, singing and playing my triangle, while others sobbed.
We got together later to celebrate. I presume it was celebrating NOT having to practice again. We invited the teacher, which is a no-no. We had to be secretive about it.
Kanpai!
They took a picture of the kids, printed it out, framed it and gave it to the teacher before we left the restaurant. Wow.
I did enjoy the experience, and I'm glad I did it.

No comments: