Thursday, December 30, 2010

Foreign Market in Kamakura

Just beyond these people is the JR Kamakura station. You come out, turn left, go under the tracks, and keep coming to the first Japanese intersection (it doesn't go truly straight). That is Kinokuniya, a foreign market.
I had wanted beets. I paid ¥550 ($6.60) for one fist-sized beet. I told my Ukrainian friend (I bought 3 for her) that it's cheaper than a ticket home.
They had a lot of cheeses. Again, very expensive, but available. The beets were individually wrapped. Kind of funny to me.
Before going under the train tracks, I saw this sign. What is this, baby witch? It is actually saying to clean up or sweep up after yourself. :)
There's a really good shopping street in Kamakura to the west of the main street into the Hachimangu Shrine. These are all kinds of pickled items. The Japanese eat pickles with their meals. We know that vinegar slows down digestion. Maybe that means I'll lose weight? :)
Burdock root. Some of these were really good. The pickled daikon always smell like farts to me. Some I like and will eat, others I won't. I've lived here long enough now to know if I like something or not!

No comments: