Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tim's birthday party 9/10/10

Tim was 'orbiting' this year. Every 11 years is an 'orbit.' At 44, he's looking forward to many more orbits! I let Tim decide the menu. Steak is always on the menu.

I apologize for the fuzzy picture. I'm just glad any pictures got taken for the event!
Friends brought their son, Ian. He's being held by another single friend. She'd heard Tim talk about his special birthday cakes I make for him, and asked to come. Tim's mom made a sour cream chocolate cake from scratch. We found the recipe in her recipe book. It was on the back of a flour sack, probably circa 1960. It isn't overly sweet, as you use unsweetened chocolate. So, she got an invite to the party!
Mr. Dwayne Strand Man (that's what another friend's son calls him) was goofing off with one of Ian's baby food containers. It made a nice birthday hat. Monkey see...
...monkey do! Here you can see that when Ian isn't smiling, he looks pretty serious. This kid can stare down Japanese. I once witnessed a Japanese lady cavorting and clowning to get him to smile. He just stared. With his chubby cheeks and broad forehead, it almost looks like a scowl, even when it's not. This lady worked it for about 5 minutes. It was funny, 'cause what can she do? Making an exit without getting a kid to smile... tough. A nearby Japanese man said something to her, and I imagined it to be, "Hey, you're not THAT funny!"

Then, a garbage truck came by and he got really excited and laughed! Yep, he has the 'knack.' This is an inside joke for Engineers. Apparently, a Dilbert cartoon made fun of the fact that engineer children are sometimes very engineering-like themselves. Therefore, they have 'the knack.' He just doesn't see humor in silly people.
Tim made everyone watch one of his favorite Top Gear shows. I overheard William bragging about his dad recently. Did you know that my dad has seen all the Top Gear shows? He's also seen every Mythbusters ever made! AND he can drink a carton of milk (half gallon) every day! Okay, that was bragging between two kids with 'the knack.' No, "My dad can beat up your dad," no. Nope, it's, "My dad's a big ol' geek show geek!"
This is the sour cream chocolate cake. Barb is clapping for him.
This is some of the debris from the day. It had a beer theme, so I used the Germany tablecloth. It was the first time I used it. I got it so long ago (1982) that East and West Germany are still one. That was the year Tim was there, as well. Tim got all his beer buckets, and people brought beer as gifts. Fun!

No comments: